From the BBC:
Hollywood actor Heath Ledger died of an accidental overdose of six different types of prescription drugs, New York authorities have revealed.
The Brokeback Mountain actor, 28, was found dead in January in an apartment he had been renting in Manhattan.
The city medical examiner’s spokeswoman said Ledger died “as the result of acute intoxication by the combined effects” of the different drugs.
They include painkiller Oxycontin and anti-anxiety drugs Valium and Xanax.
Spokeswoman Ellen Borakove said: “What you’re looking at here is the cumulative effects of these medications together.”
Traces of painkiller ibuprofen and sleeping pills, Restoril and Unisom, were also found in Ledger’s blood.
Ledger’s father Kim said: “While no medications were taken in excess, we learned today the combination of doctor-prescribed drugs proved lethal for our boy. Heath’s accidental death serves as a caution to the hidden dangers of combining prescription medication, even at low dosage.”